A native of Detroit, Michigan, Janet Flom first studied art as a child at Cranbrook Art Institute and the Bloomfield Art Association, but ultimately pursued other career paths. She has a B.A. in Russian & East European Studies from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, a Juris Doctorate from William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, and practiced as a trial attorney in Minneapolis before moving to the FM area and resuming an interest in art. A degree in studio art, painting emphasis, was obtained from Minnesota State University Moorhead.
Janet was co-owner of StudioWorks, LLC, a commercial art firm specializing in large-scale, site-specific public and liturgical art installations in various parts of the United States. She has served on the Lake Region Arts Council, was founding president of the Red River Watercolor Society, and is a past recipient of a McKnight-LRAC grant. She was founding President of the Red River Watercolor Society.
In recent years Janet’s watercolor paintings have earned numerous awards in national and international exhibitions, including top honors in the Northeast Watercolor Society in New York, and the Northwest Watercolor Society in Seattle. She has earned signature status in the National Watercolor Society and several other organizations. In fall of 2013 Janet was featured in articles by art publications in France and Great Britain.
Janet has studios in downtown Fargo and in Moorhead. In addition to teaching and lecturing, she is currently working on a series of articles on watercolor for publication.
Selected Exhibitions / Awards
- The Art of Watercolour, 12th Edition (France, UK) article "Watercolor Artist Janet Flom"
- Red River Watercolor Society's 20th National Watermedia Exhibition, Merit Award
- Northwest Watercolor Society's 72nd Annual International Open Exhibition, Canson Fine Art Papers Award
- Michigan Water Color Annual Exhibition, Frances Plagens Memorial Award
- 4th Annual Signature America Watercolor Exhibition
- Hot Press, July/August issue, "Interview with Artist Janet Flom"
- Northeast Watercolor Society's 36th International Exhibition, First Place
- San Diego Watercolor Society's 32nd International Exhibition, Chick & Cheri Mills Award
- Red River Watercolor Society's 19th National Watermedia Exhibition, Silver Medal
- Northwest Watercolor Society's 72nd Annual International Open Exhibition, First Place
- FMVA Big Show
- National Watercolor Society's 91st Annual Exhibition
- Transparent Watercolor Society's 35th National Exhibition
- Northeast Watercolor Society's 35th International Exhibition
- Red River Watercolor Society's 18th National Watermedia Exhibition
- Watercolor Missouri National 2012
- Northeast Watercolor Society's 34th International Exhibition, Fred Strobl Memorial Award
- Red River Watercolor Society's 17th National Watermedia Exhibition, Merit Award
- Art on the Plains X, Plains Art Museum
- Transparent Watercolor Society's 33rd National Exhibition
- Red River Watercolor Society's 16th National Watermedia Exhibition